Draft/prospect creation (player ratings)

This forum is for league commissioners seeking advice when it comes to league related issues; rules, free agency system etc. / Ce forum devrait être utilisé par les commissaires qui cherches des conseils pour les aider à rouler leur ligue; règlements, systême agent libre etc.
Beezeral
New in Town / Le Ptit Nouveau

Draft/prospect creation (player ratings)

Post by Beezeral »

Simon,

I am thinking of starting a league using your software. I am confused by prospect creation. I see that it is name only when they go into the entry draft. Where do the grades come from? Do I need to make grades for every single draft year? Ex. starting in 2010 but will randomly pick draft years to do. so the 2011 entry draft would be the IRL 1995 draft, 2012 would be IRL 1980 draft etc. Is that possible? I see I can upload and use draft class files, but those are just names. How do I actually attach/create grades to the players.

Not everyone in the league is a hockey fan and will be able to accurately draft based off of reputation. I apologize if these are simple questions, but I am new to your software and don't understand the in's and out's just yet.

Thanks in advance
SimonT
STHS Owner / Propriétaire du STHS

Re: Draft/prospect creation (player ratings)

Post by SimonT »

Hi.

You are the first one with this question. Normally, the life of player’s in NHL is that we get draft and put in the prospect list. During 1 to 2 years, he’s does not played in the NHL or AHL so he doesn’t get rated. When he finally get rated and enter the players database (See the Edit Players Windows), you can “activate” him from prospect to full players. You can “activate” from the prospect view or from the Bonus menu by clicking “Activate All Prospects” option.

Note: For the activation to work, the prospect name and players name in the databases must be exactly the same. If it’s not, you must rename the prospect name or player name.

I hope this better explain the concept and answer your question. If not, please reply to me.
-SimonT
Forum Administrator / Administrateur du Forum
STHS Owner / Propriètaire du STHS
English Manual - Manuel Français
Beezeral

Post by Beezeral »

I understand the process you are using and I understand most players spend time in Juniors/europe for a year or two before joining their NHL team.

My question is where do the actual ratings for the prospect come from. For example. If I load the 2010 rosters for the main file. Then load the 1985 NHL draft names for the entry draft, have the draft, then someone wants to activate the player. Where do the ratings for the players come from? Can I upload them from someone who already made them? If so, how? Do I need to create ratings myself for each player as he gets activated?

If this doesn't work I have the same question if I use the same year draft class. Upon examining the roster file for 2010, I don't see any grades for prospects (or even names) it's a separate file. The answer may be very simple and I'm just not getting it. Thank you for your help
SimonT

Post by SimonT »

Hi.

Prospects do not have rating. I think you are confusing prospect (Mike McCarron) who never play in the NHL/No Rating and rookie (Jacob de la Rose) who play in the NHL / Rating Available or should be available.

The rating from a rookie comes from an entry in the players databases. You can add entry in the player’s database by bulk-importing them from at rating file available in the download section. (Note: I don’t have much rating for 2005 and before). So in your example, since I don’t have 1985 players’ rating file, you would have to create one.

I suggest you try it for yourself. Load the STHS, create yourself a league and on how to activate a prospect.
-SimonT
Beezeral

Post by Beezeral »

I tried it myself. I loaded a start date of 2010. simulated the season, uploaded the 2010 draft class names. the names were there but when I tried to activate a draftee, there were no grades for the software to pull from and it asked me to make them on my own. please advise what I am doing wrong
SimonT

Post by SimonT »

You need to load the 2011 players rating in the STHS (Update Rating) and then try to activate the players. Then again, most of 2010 draft class will not have any play in NHL / AHL games so they might and will probably not have any rating so you’ll not be able to activate them.

Usually, players are given rating only when they play in NHL / AHL. The ratings are based on previous year so its take 1 year after a player is draft to get rating.

Your 2010 draft class prospect might never get any rating because they will never play NHL / AHL.
-SimonT
Beezeral

Post by Beezeral »

SimonT wrote:You need to load the 2011 players rating in the STHS (Update Rating) and then try to activate the players. Then again, most of 2010 draft class will not have any play in NHL / AHL games so they might and will probably not have any rating so you’ll not be able to activate them.

Usually, players are given rating only when they play in NHL / AHL. The ratings are based on previous year so its take 1 year after a player is draft to get rating.

Your 2010 draft class prospect might never get any rating because they will never play NHL / AHL.
If I update ratings, will that change everyone's rating? Or just the guys who don't have a rating yet? Thanks again
SimonT

Post by SimonT »

It's depend on the option you select when you update the rating. By default, it'll update everyone but you can uncheck the option to only create new players.

Please note you can find players in double because of naming issue. For examples, J.P Dumont is different from J-P Dumont.
-SimonT
Beezeral

Post by Beezeral »

SimonT wrote:It's depend on the option you select when you update the rating. By default, it'll update everyone but you can uncheck the option to only create new players.

Please note you can find players in double because of naming issue. For examples, J.P Dumont is different from J-P Dumont.
Excellent. Thank you. I will try to do this today.