V2 Assistant GM

Your suggestions are always welcome. / Vos suggestions sont toujours bienvenues.
laving
The Crazy / Le Fou

V2 Assistant GM

Post by laving »

Had this crazy idea for about one week ago.

Would it be interesting to make an ability for every team, to have an assistant GM that controls the Farm Team? (human being)

The whole idea came up when I looked at my Waiting List, and thought "sorry guys, right now I can't create a new league for you. Can't handle two leagues right now". By making the guys on the Waiting list GM for a Farm Team in the league, they would at least have "one foot in".

And without doing any research, I really can guess that a lot of leagues have people on their waiting list too. I just thought it would be nice to have a league that includes 60 people instead of 30 people, without expand it to 60 teams.

I sure don't know anything about programming and such, so I really don't know if this is hard to include or not. But I did think about how it could work.

Basically, the Assistant GM should have the ability to change the Farm Lines. (Pro Lines and Roster options should be blocked). When he is ready, the file would be named after the Farm Team, instead of the Pro Team. Then the simulator just reads it like all the other files.

Example of something that could separate Pro GM from Farm GM in the Client: Password.

I don't know if it is an interesting feature at all. I just thought this would be a great way to get new GMs some experience, to minimize the Waiting Lists, and to make the leagues "bigger", without expanding with more teams.

I'm happy for every little peice of response I get. =)
starfrit
The SuperStar

Re: V2 Assistant GM

Post by starfrit »

I second that, but the main problem I see, what if the pro team recalls a player, and the farm team GM makes his lines with that player ?
Martin poitras
STHS Beta Testers
Commissaire AHSQ, DG San Jose
http://www.ahsq.ca
http://www.goaliesarchive.com
SimonT
STHS Owner / Propriétaire du STHS

Post by SimonT »

Hi.

From my point, it would hell to have to search for 60 different GM for 1 league without forgetting that from a business point, that would not be good for me.
-SimonT
Forum Administrator / Administrateur du Forum
STHS Owner / Propriètaire du STHS
English Manual - Manuel Français
starfrit
The SuperStar

Post by starfrit »

I think what he's suggesting, it's that it would be an option. For example, if one GM doens't want to do his farm, we could find another GM just for that farm team, not league wide
Martin poitras
STHS Beta Testers
Commissaire AHSQ, DG San Jose
http://www.ahsq.ca
http://www.goaliesarchive.com
Violent Ed
The Crazy / Le Fou

Post by Violent Ed »

Could work.

But I see it as being a logistical nightmare. What if like already expressed, a pro team GM takes a guy from the farm and sends in lines, then the farm GM makes lines with that player in them not knowing the player was called up and sends in lines. What kind of chaos will that create in the sim?
laving
The Crazy / Le Fou

Post by laving »

starfrit wrote:I second that, but the main problem I see, what if the pro team recalls a player, and the farm team GM makes his lines with that player ?
I did also think of that. I don't know any solution to that problem, but here is what I think about it:

(First of all, talking is a great way to solve the problem, but that is not a technical solution)

With the 1.1.8 version (not sure if it is 1.1.7 or 1.1.8. Anyway, the newest version 1), the Client has some kind of bug with the Farm Lines, if you have "Full Farm" active. A lot of GMs doesn't want to handle their Farm Teams, so they just click "auto lines" in the farm, and send the Lines in. BUT, the Client does not allways make correct lines, with the Auto Lines options. Most of the time, it adds 1 player too much to the lines. Even though, the GM can save the lines, and send them in.

What I'm trying to say is:
For me, as a commish, it doesn't matter if I have to correct the Auto Lines in Farm manually, or if I have to correct the Farm Lines when the Pro GM called up a Farm player. That would basically be the same. (I have to correct in average 1.7 lines per simulation day). And no, I don't suggest this so that I have to correct LESS lines, because the solution to that problem is to fix the bug. ;)

And the Pro Lines should allways "go first". If the simulator finds the same player in both Pro and Farm lines, he should be replaced by "Unknown Player" in Farm. Or for those leagues with Full Farm: Maybe "Partial Auto Lines"? Just ideas.

There is a lot of leagues that are special in one way or another, leagues where people are willing to wait to get their own team, instead of just taking a team in a league that looks like all the others. And of course, there is a lot of POPULAR leagues as well. It's just a suggestion for those leagues that would like it this way. Therefor, it should be an option to all the leagues, and also all the GMs in every league. Like starfrit says: not league wide. I sure understand that adding 30 Farm GMs to a league is hard to do. (At most, during my 6 years of commishing, I had 38 people on the waiting list. At that time, there were no other Swedish leagues, and I did massive advertising.) So yeah, if it would be included, it should first be decided by the Commish if the league allows this. And second, it should be the GMs option to have a spot open for his Farm Team.

Simon: I have thought of that too. I understand that your buisness will be worse, if it would be less leagues. But I really don't think there will be less leagues. Instead, I think this option would add Quality to your simulator. And in the long run, I think that would be GOOD buisness for you. Remember: the more GMs there is, the more popular would your simulator be. And I don't see the situation where I "steal" GMs from another league, just to be Farm GM in my league. That wont happen. So I think it will only add more GMs to the community. And with more GMs using STHS, the bigger chance they start their own league with STHS as the simulator.

I also know that Simon has the last word. I wont cry if it's not included. I would buy the Version 2 anyway, as fast as the SIMHL Web Portal supports it. But if it would be included, I think it would be a great and useful option.
bigdaddycat
New in Town / Le Ptit Nouveau

Post by bigdaddycat »

laving wrote: I would buy the Version 2 anyway, as fast as the SIMHL Web Portal supports it.
I wonder how many other Commishes are doing this? I already purchased V2 but I am holding off on starting up until the portal is updated as well.
gab_3020
The Passion One / Le Passionné

Post by gab_3020 »

I bought V2 when it came out, did not touch it since.

Waiting for the portal too.

I'm starting a new season right now but it will be a very shrot one so we can catch up some lost time and have a draft in time.
http://lihv2010.dominicborduas.com

I'm bilingual, kindly ask for a translation and I'll provide it.
Je suis bilingue, ne faites que demandé une traduction et je vous la donnerai.
laving
The Crazy / Le Fou

Post by laving »

Simon... Have you thought about this? (not the web portal)
SimonT
STHS Owner / Propriétaire du STHS

Post by SimonT »

Sorry man but I'll not do it for 2 major reason :
1) it's not good for business
2) it would be a huge change how the STHS handle team and it would be difficult to do.
-SimonT
Forum Administrator / Administrateur du Forum
STHS Owner / Propriètaire du STHS
English Manual - Manuel Français
laving
The Crazy / Le Fou

Post by laving »

Okey. Thanks for the answer. =)
ParkBench
New in Town / Le Ptit Nouveau

Post by ParkBench »

bigdaddycat wrote:
laving wrote: I would buy the Version 2 anyway, as fast as the SIMHL Web Portal supports it.
I wonder how many other Commishes are doing this? I already purchased V2 but I am holding off on starting up until the portal is updated as well.
the OTHL was sort of doing this... but... we have little faith in a timely release of Portal for V2, so we're looking at making the switch, and dealing with the web stuff afterward. possibly even a joomla CMS implementation with the white index pages referenced, and an even more involved forusm community for some aspects that the portal handled.
-JWB